Huszti Dental roots: It all began in Highland, Michigan
THE HIGHLAND DENTAL OFFICE OF DR. FLOYD L VERNIER, JR & DR. CARMAN W EMPKIE
In the 1940’s Highland was considered the country-side. Dr. Floyd Vernier Jr opened his office at 1830 N. Milford Rd. Highland, MI in a small brick professional building. For over 30 years the 2 dentists cared for a variety of adults and children including the many farmers. Because of the rural nature of the communities and the scarcity of dentists they served a wide area surrounding present day Highland and Milford townships. According to patient records fees for dental services typically ranged from $3-$6.
Stories from these days illustrate the close-knit nature of these communities. For instance, when Milford’s Peterson bridge was originally constructed it could accommodate only one lane. Neighbors would rely on the courtesy of their neighbors and politely take turns should there be on-coming traffic. Another favorite story recounts a routine transaction at the general store in downtown Milford. If no cashier was present patrons would simply check themselves out, leaving their money in plain sight, on the unattended counter.